FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Add a simple green salad, such as a Caesar salad, to this warming, beautiful casserole and dinner is complete.
View all tips »
Optional for spice lovers: Add a minced jalapeño into the sauté pan with the beef and onions.
- 2 cup(s) white or yellow cornmeal
- 2 cup(s) water
- 2 cup(s) broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup(s) onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 cup(s) black or green olives, s;iced
- 1 cup(s) Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup(s) cheddar or spicy Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10x13-inch casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine water and broth. Bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in butter.
- Pour 2/3 of the cornmeal into the pan and spread it up the sides of the dish.
- In a large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil and sauté the onion, bell pepper and beef until the meat is cooked through but not browned. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and olives. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the cooled meat mixture into the cornmeal-lined casserole and spoon the remaining cornmeal over the meat (it won’t cover completely).
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over all and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cheese is melted and browned.