FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Tex-Mex Mashed Potatoes with Jack Cheese, Minced Jalapeño, Green Onions & Sour Cream
Just because it’s Tex-Mex night doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy mashed potatoes. This update on the classic adds the flavor of Monterey Jack cheese and fresh jalapeño for a Southern twist your family will love.
- 3 lb. russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. jalapeño, minced
- 4 Tbsp. softened butter (up to 5, if needed)
- 1 cup(s) cream or milk
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Pinch white or black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup(s) green onions, minced
- Peel potatoes and chop into quarters. Put in a large pot and cover with cold, salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook until tender without being mushy (about 35 minutes).
- Cool potatoes enough to handle and put in a bowl with the jalapeño pepper. Whip with an electric mixer on low, adding the butter, milk and cheese one tablespoon at a time. When the butter and cheese are incorporated, slowly add the green onions with the mixer running.
- For a really buttery flavor, add up to 3 tablespoons more butter at this stage. Season with salt and pepper to taste.