FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Tomato Enchilada Casserole
Family-friendly and easy to assemble, this casserole is also a terrific dish for serving to Sunday afternoon football fans.
View all tips »
- Mexican cheese blend may be substituted for the cheddar cheese.
- May be prepared in advance, baked and reheated just before serving.
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef (lean 90%)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounce)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- 4 flour tortillas (10-inch )
- 2 cup(s) cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3/4 cup(s) sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Brown the ground beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the ground beef is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain fat from meat mixture.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeño pepper, cumin and chili powder. Season with salt to taste. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly.
- Spoon about one-third of the beef-tomato mixture over the bottom of the prepared dish. Cover with 2 tortillas and layer with more of the beef-tomato mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheddar cheese over beef-tomato mixture. Repeat, ending with a final layer of cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until cheese melts. Top with spoonfuls of sour cream and sprinkle with green onions. Serve.