FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Traditional Shepherd’s Pie
A favorite dish in traditional English and Irish kitchens, American moms find this hearty one-dish meal a make-ahead problem solver for everything from family suppers to soccer team parties—and it makes for great leftovers, too.
View all tips »
You can vary this basic recipe by adding almost any vegetables you have on hand, like peas, mushrooms or celery.
- 2 cup(s) carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef (lean 90%)
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cup(s) Idahoan® REAL Premium Mashed Potatoes (follow package directions to make 8 servings with milk and Daily Chef™ Salted Butter Quarters)
- 2 Tbsp. Daily Chef™ Salted Butter Quarters
- 1 cup(s) grated Pilgrim® English Cheddar cheese, or your favorite Cheddar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 3/4 cup(s) Del Monte® Green Beans, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 3/4 cup(s) beef broth
- Optional: .50 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook briefly to blanch, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Use a fork to mix ground beef and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese into prepared mashed potatoes.
- Heat butter and oil in large saucepan. When bubbling, add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are clear. Add ground beef to pan and cook until well browned.
- Pour off excess fat (you need a little), then stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add ketchup, beef broth and optional red wine, if using. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add carrots and green beans. Stir to blend.
- Spoon ground beef mixture into a 2-quart lasagna-style baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until mashed potatoes are golden brown.