FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Watermelon Agua Fresca
Servings: Makes 2 quarts
Aguas frescas like this one using melon, are the national beverage of Mexico. Fresh fruits are pureed, strained and chilled with sweetener and water to make a cooler that refreshes like no other on a hot day.
View all tips »
Simple syrup is made by combining equal parts water and granulated sugar in a saucepan and gently heating until the sugar melts and the liquid is clear. Keep syrup in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks to sweeten any cold beverage or cocktail.
- 4 cup(s) diced watermelon (or honeydew or Crenshaw)
- 5 cup(s) cold water
- cup(s) simple syrup (see Tips)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Purée 4 cups diced watermelon (or honeydew or Crenshaw) with 2 cups cold water in a blender. Strain through a sieve to remove solids.
- Add 3 more cups of cold water, 1/4 cup (or up to 3/4 cup) simple syrup, 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt. Stir to blend. Add more simple syrup or water as needed for the fruit.
- Serve well-chilled (2 to 24 hours) with a wedge of lime or melon.