FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Summer Fruit Salad in a Watermelon Basket
Always a hit at summer parties, this watermelon basket is the perfect container to showcase summer’s bonanza of berries and melons. Vary the fruit according to what’s in season and personal preference.
View all tips »
Cantaloupe balls, papaya and mango pieces and blackberries are also excellent in this refreshing fruit salad. The fruit salad is also refreshing served simply with cottage cheese or creamy blue cheese and crackers.
- 1 watermelon (7-.50 pound)
- 1/2 lb. each Northwest Cherries (Dark Sweet and Rainier), pitted, stems removed and cut in half
- 1 2-pound honeydew melon, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch balls
- 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh raspberries
- 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cup(s) green grapes
- 1/3 cup(s) honey
- 1/3 cup(s) lime juice
- To make the watermelon sit flat, use a sharp, serrated knife to cut a thin slice from the bottom of the watermelon. Place the watermelon on a serving plate.
- Using the knife, make indents for a horizontal cutting line around the watermelon, about 2 inches above the center.
- To make the basket handle, mark a 1-1/2 inch wide strip across the top of the watermelon connecting to the horizontal cutting line. With the serrated knife, cut along each side of the handle to the horizontal cutting line. Next, following the horizontal cutting line and just above the line, cut all the way through the rind in a zigzag pattern. Carefully lift off the two pieces on either side of the handle.
- Using a 1-inch melon-ball scoop, remove the watermelon from the bottom of the basket, below the handle and in the two sections removed from the melon. Place watermelon balls in a large mixing bowl. Refrigerate the watermelon basket.
- Combine the cherries, honeydew melon balls, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and grapes in the bowl with the watermelon balls. Drizzle with honey and lime juice. Gently toss and refrigerate.
- To serve, spoon the fruit mixture into the watermelon basket. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.