FiltersMain Ingredient Meal Type Prep Time
- Less than 15 minutes
- Less than 30 minutes
- Less than 45 minutes
- Less than 60 minutes
- Above 60 minutes
Whiskey Caramel Sauce
Homemade caramel sauce is an unusual and creative gift for nearly anyone. It’s so easy to make, you may want to prepare several batches and use this as your signature gift this holiday season.
- 3 cup(s) sugar
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 1/3 cup(s) heavy cream, warmed
- 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) Jack Daniel's® or other good whiskey, or dark rum
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy 8-cup saucepan; stir to blend and melt.
- Cook over low heat, using the handle of the pan to swirl the liquid and ensure that the sugar is completely dissolved. (From this stage forward, do not touch the caramel with a spoon or spatula until the final step.) It should be absolutely clear. This takes about 4 minutes
- Raise the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil and cook, swirling the pan occasionally until the caramel turns a dark amber color, like maple syrup (about 10 to 12 minutes). Remove the pan from the heat.
- Carefully add the warm cream to the caramel; the caramel will froth and steam. Return the pan to low heat, stirring gently with a wooden spoon to dissolve any solidified caramel until the sauce is smooth, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and liquor.
- Let cool for a few minutes before pouring into the heatproof bottles or jars you have selected for gifting. Let cool on the counter.