BENTONVILLE, ARK. – January 18, 2013 –Many Americans are resolving to try healthier foods during this annual ‘resolution season,’ but following through can be tough. In fact, of the 45 percent of U.S. consumers who report setting a goal for the year ahead, only eight percent will be successful in achieving it. To help families highlight health and great flavor in the weekly meal menu, Sam’s Club enlisted Katie Workman, mom and author of The Mom 100 Cookbook, to join the Sam’s Club Simply Delicious Chef Brigade. Recommending simple, vitamin-enriched food swaps and flavorful accents sourced from Sam’s Club, Workman makes healthy eating a tasty treat.
Even the pickiest of palates will embrace the fresh quality ingredients in Workman’s three recipes exclusive to SamsClub.com/meals. Mix Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Mustard Vinaigrette to turn the often-snubbed green into a sought-after side. Workman’s Citrus Marinated Salmon with Tangy Sauce andSweet Potato Pie recipes are comforting, flavorful anddeceptively nutritious. Members can find Workman’s easy-to-follow instructions on the SamsClub.com/meals “Tips & Videos” tab or view photos and printable recipes on the “Easy Recipes” tab.
“As a mom, I’m familiar with the wrinkled noses and protests that come with serving traditionally healthy recipes,” said Katie Workman. “Fish and vegetables aren’t always at the top of everyone’s list but with a few extra flavors you can turn these staples from ‘yuck’ to ‘yes, please.’ The key is to start with fresh, quality ingredients as the base of your meal and to be open-minded about how flavors can work together to create something delicious.”
“The start of a new year brings renewed consideration for healthy eating habits and healthy spending habits,” says Shawn Baldwin, senior vice president of fresh food for Sam’s Club. “Sam’s Club provides members with premium quality along with great savings in the grocery aisles, from staples like Daily Chef Extra Virgin Olive Oil to sustainable salmon and fresh, great-tasting produce. With the promise of a 200 percent fresh department guarantee2, Sam’s Club shoppers can realize both resolutions all year long.”
Simply Delicious and Nutritious: Katie Workman’s Sweet Potato Pie (RECIPE)
Taste buds are in for a surprise with this sweet but vitamin-rich dessert or breakfast treat. Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with vitamins A, C and E. Ground cinnamon enhances the sweetness in this delectable dessert while also providing a dose of fiber and calcium. All ingredients listed are sourced from Sam’s Club (while supplies last).
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 refrigerated pie crust for a 9-inch pie
- 3 large eggs
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light cream
- Sweetened whipped cream made with Daily Chef™ Whipping Cream to serve, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prick the sweet potatoes in several places with a fork, and bake the sweet potatoes for 1 hour until soft. Leave the oven on. Remove and slightly cool the potatoes, then peel and puree in a food processor (or pass them through a ricer) and place in a small bowl. You should have about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups puree.
- Unroll the prepared pie crust and fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Attractively crimp the edges of the crust with fingers or a fork.
- For the filling: in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and orange zest. Whisk in the pureed sweet potatoes, and then add sugar, cinnamon and salt and whisk into the sweet potato mixture until blended. Slowly whisk in cream until well combined. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake the pie for about 1 hour, until the filling is set. You can test this by inserting a sharp knife near the center; when it come out clean, the pie is done. Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days. Serve sliced with whipped cream, if desired.
In addition to recipe essentials, Members can pick up pantry staples such as spices and Daily Chef Extra Virgin Olive Oil which is bottled right after olives are harvested to guarantee maximum freshness.
For more simply delicious and nutritious recipes, “7 Ways to Use” sweet potatoes and cooking tips, visit SamsClub.com/meals.
Now in its second year, the Sam’s Club Simply Delicious Chef Brigade features nationally-renowned chefs and cookbook authors to inspire members with simple, easy-to-make meal solutions. The Chef Brigade works with premium, flavor-rich ingredients from Sam’s Club to create restaurant-quality recipes for households that savor value and taste. Visit SamsClub.com/mealsfor new recipes every month, alongside instructional videos and tips from the Chef Brigade, wine pairing recommendations and in-club sampling calendars.
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club, a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), is the nation’s eighth largest retailer and a leading membership warehouse club offering superior products and services to more than 47 million members in clubs across the U.S., as well as in Brazil, China and Mexico. Members save an average of 34 percent over traditional retailers. To learn more about Savings Made Simple®, visit SamsClub.com, and look for Sam’s Club on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and our Mobile and iPad® Apps.
1SOURCE: University of Scranton, Journal of Psychology, “New Year’s Resolution Statistics,” [Original source: StatisticBrain.com, http://www.statisticbrain.com/new-years-resolution-statistics/ (March 19, 2012)
2Sam’s Club will double the member’s money back or refund of the original purchase price and replacement of Fresh product. The 200% Guarantee applies only to paid members with Sam’s Club. It does not apply to 1-Day or other Passes. Non-members may return fresh product in exchange for the original purchase price only.