Club provides new jobs, donates $24,500 to local organizations
LADY LAKE, Fla., Jan. 20, 2008 – The new Sam’s Club in Lady Lake officially opens Thursday, Jan. 22, and has been designed to fulfill the shopping needs of the active, local community with innovative features and special services. Conveniently located at 755 N. Hwy. 441, the new Sam’s Club will provide Business, Advantage and Collegiate Members exceptional value on merchandise and services while bringing 190 new jobs and $24,500 in initial grant donations to local organizations. The Club Manager along with community leaders and local dignitaries will celebrate its official grand opening with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Thursday, Jan. 22 at 8:30 a.m. and share how the new Club will contribute to the Central Florida area.
Club Offers Members Specialized Services and Customized Product Selection
According to Club Manager Daniel Goodson, the new 134,000-square-foot Lady Lake Sam’s Club is stocked with an extensive inventory of more than 4,000 affordable essential and luxury items as well as services specialized for the Lady Lake Community. “From the small-business owner looking to reduce expenses on everyday items to eco-friendly desk chairs or the retiree who is looking to stretch their dollars on prescriptions, shoppers at our Club will find tremendous savings all at one stop,” said Goodson.
Goodson adds that one of the Club’s top priorities is to be a strong community partner. “In addition to providing access to high-quality products at exceptional values, our Club added specialized services to benefit our members,” said Goodson. “We have an expanded pharmacy offering branded, $4 and $9 prescriptions, a Hearing Aid Center and an Optical Department with a dedicated Doctor of Optometry.”
Sam’s Club also offers its Members a treasure-hunt shopping experience with items such as golf clubs, archery equipment, spas, computers, designer handbags and accessories. Time-saving features include a Tire and Battery department and a one-hour digital photo center. The Club café offers pizza, chicken wraps, sodas, soft-serve yogurt and ice cream. Shoppers can browse the floral section, choice meats and meal replacement solutions in the deli, and the bakery features custom birthday cakes, artisan breads and desserts. The electronics department offers a wide selection of brand name flat panel televisions, digital cameras and video gaming systems. The Lady Lake Sam’s Club will also feature a separate and complete fine wine and liquor store open to the public, and the fuel station, which includes diesel fuel and a two-bay car wash, is exclusive to members.
Membership Provides Exceptional Value and Services for Business, Home and Life
Sam’s Club Membership offers small business owners and operators access to additional services to help increase productivity and profitability including health insurance solutions, merchant credit card processing, marketing solutions and numerous other benefits for their business provided by third party vendors.
With a valid college ID and collegiate email address, students can obtain a year-long Sam’s Club Collegiate Membership for $40 and receive a $15 gift card to help offset the cost of their first purchase. Sam’s Club offers the ideal solution for Collegiate Members as they combat high tuition costs with the essentials. From compact refrigerators to bedding to laptops, Sam’s Club has what Central Florida Community College students need with values that are sure to help them get the top grade in comfort, nutrition, organization, technology and entertainment.
Sam’s Club Celebrates Commitment to Community
As part of the grand-opening celebration, Goodson and other Club leaders will present $24,500 in grant donations to local area organizations as part of Sam’s Club commitment to give back to the communities it serves. A special $5,000 grant will be given to the Lady Lake Christian Food Pantry as part of a special check presentation which will be held during Community Day on Wednesday, Jan. 21, at 5 p.m.
According to Cheryl Hershberger, Director of The Christian Food Pantry, the agency appreciates the grant beyond the generous amount. “We expected to help about 300 families in both November and December because of the holidays, but we now have over 600 families who have applied for our assistance and could come to us for help each month, “ said Hershberger.
The new Sam’s Club will also fight hunger in the Lady Lake area by making regular product donations to local food banks. The program is part of a partnership between Sam’s Club and Feeding America. Sam’s Clubs across the country regularly donate nutritious, protein-rich food to area hunger relief agencies, helping fight hunger in their communities and reducing food waste.
Club Brings more than 150 New Jobs to Area
In addition to saving members money, the new Sam’s Club will benefit the Lady Lake area by creating more than 150 new jobs. “I am a great example of how you can build a vibrant career with Sam’s Club,” said Goodson. “I started with Sam’s Club in 2001 and now I am managing my own Club after going through the management training program. It’s an exciting career.”
Commitment to the Environment
According to Goodson, the Lady Lake Sam’s Club was designed to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. “Sam’s Club environmental focus is on doing simple things that make a big impact. Waste heat from the refrigeration system is used to heat hot water for restrooms and kitchen areas,” said Goodson.
In addition, daylight-harvesting skylights reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting throughout the club operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement in the Club’s concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the baseboards are manufactured from 100 percent recycled plastic. The digital photo department uses green technology, operating completely without liquid chemicals for photo processing. The Club recycles everything from motor oil to waste cooking oil.
A special Business Member preview and shopping event will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 21 from 5 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. Local residents are invited to attend the official grand-opening celebration on Thursday, Jan. 22 at 8:30 a.m., which will include an official ribbon-cutting ceremony with Club Manager Daniel Goodson and a presentation of colors by the Lady Lake Color Guard.
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club is a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT). The first Sam’s Club opened its doors in Midwest City, Okla., in 1983. Today, Sam’s Club serves more than 47 million U.S. Members with locations nationwide and in Brazil, Canada, China, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Sam’s Club offers exceptional values on merchandise and services for business owners and consumers. Online merchandise and Club information is available at samsclub.com.
- A Community Day preview event is scheduled for Business Members on Wednesday, Jan. 21, 5 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. Community grants will be presented at 5 p.m., followed by a brief tour of the new facility. Reporters and photographers are encouraged to attend.
- Club Manager Daniel Goodson can provide details about the grand opening, offer quotes for interviews and arrange for photo opportunities or preview tours. He can be contacted at 352-751-5150.
Lady Lake Sam’s Club
Club Fast Facts
- Grand opening: Thursday, Jan. 22, 8:30 a.m.
- Community/Business Preview: Wednesday, Jan. 21, 5 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. (for Business Members only. Reporters and photographers are invited to attend.
- Address: 755 N. Highway 44, Lady Lake, FL
- Club hours:
- Gold Key hours for Business Memberships: 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Mon. – Fri.; 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Sat.
- All Memberships: 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Mon. – Fri.; 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Sat.; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sun.
- The Club will employ more than 150 associates
- Club Manager: Daniel Goodson
- Available products include electronics; computer software; mattresses; rotisserie chicken; fresh meats; outdoor living furniture; office products; appliances; restaurant and foodservice supplies, vending and concession supplies, health, beauty and medical supplies; apparel; holiday décor; fitness equipment; toys; and flowers, gifts and awards.
- Luxury items include designer handbags, jewelry, gourmet and organic foods, wine, crystal and collectibles.
- The Club offers a pharmacy, a one-hour photo lab, tire and battery services, a bakery, a fresh floral department, an optical center and a café.
- Members also enjoy healthcare, business, financial and personal services such as health and medical discount programs, roadside assistance, travel services, auto, boat and RV programs and cost effective merchant credit card processing solutions provided by third-party vendors.
- Advantage Membership - $40
- Business Membership - $35
- Advantage PLUS Membership - $100
- Business PLUS Membership - $100
- Collegiate Membership - $40, includes a $15 gift card and complimentary Membership
- Editor’s Note: For more detailed information on the Membership options, visit a Sam’s Club location or samsclub.com.
$24,500 in total grants to local area organizations including:
- American Cancer Society
- Haven of Lake and Sumter Counties
- Hospice Foundation of Lake and Sumter County
- Lady Lake Christian Food Pantry
- Lady Lake Public Library
- Lady Lake Police Departmen
- March of Dimes
- Mid-Florida Community Services
- Village Elementary School of Lady Lake
- Villages Fire Department
For More Information
- Store Manager: Daniel Goodson, 352-751-5150
- Sam’s Club information and merchandise online: www.samsclub.com
# # #