Club celebrates grand opening with $24,500 in community grants
SURPRISE, Ariz., Jan. 20, 2009 – The first Sam’s Club in Surprise will debut Thursday, Jan. 29, and will offer local businesses and residents the ease of experiencing Club shopping and values closer to home. The Club, located at 16573 W. Bell Rd., will provide area shoppers with a number of high quality products and services at exceptional values. The Club also brings 170 new jobs to Surprise, the majority being filled by local residents.
“We are excited to have the Sam’s Club open in Surprise,” said Mayor L.E. “Lyn” Truitt. “The Club will bring great products at great prices and good jobs to our city. We look forward to a prosperous partnership.”
Mayor Truitt also said the Club provides an opportunity to change the traffic patterns in the city. “Our residents will now be able to work and shop at a Club within Surprise,” explained Truitt. “This will allow our residents the chance and accessibility of staying local for their shopping needs.”
In recognition of the grand opening, the Club will distribute $24,500 in community grants to six local charitable organizations, including a $5,000 grant to the St. Mary’s Westside Food Bank Alliance.
The new Sam’s Club will also fight hunger in the Surprise area by making regular product donations to local food banks. The program is part of a partnership between Sam’s Club and Feeding America. Sam’s Club locations across the nation regularly donate nutritious, protein-rich food to area hunger relief agencies, helping fight hunger in their communities and reducing food waste.
Club to Feature Broad Merchandise Mix
Just in time for the Big Game on Feb. 1, Sam’s Club will provide its Members a one-stop-shop for party preparations. With its wide array of food items including Member’s Mark Take-N-Bake Pizzas and choice meats, gourmet cheeses, hors d’oeuvres trays and liquor sales, the Club is the ticket for a successful event. It also offers a vast selection of electronics such as flat panel televisions to make watching the Big Game more enjoyable.
The Club’s electronics section also includes camcorders, digital cameras and video gaming systems. Shoppers also have the opportunity to save on a complete line of products from quality jewelry and designer goods, to sunglasses, crystal and collectibles. For the home, furniture, kitchen appliances, barbecue grills and fitness equipment are available. The pharmacy offers $4 and $10, as well as great deals on branded prescriptions. The Club also features apparel, tires and car batteries, a photo lab, an optical center, a hearing center, a café and a fresh floral department. A Sam’s Club fuel station is located in front of the Club.
Sam’s Club Committed to the Environment
In keeping with the city’s commitment to growing a community that is sensitive to the environment, the new Club was constructed with energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. Examples include the use of low-flow toilets and faucets in the restrooms and concrete flooring made from recycled materials throughout the Club.
Numerous skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the Club, while the freezer cases and non-sales areas of the Club have LED lights and sensors that automatically shut off the lights when those areas are unoccupied or customers or associates are not present. The Club’s refrigeration system is also used to heat the water needed in the facility.
The Club will offer a Home Efficiency Center to showcase products and appliances to help consumers be more eco-friendly and save money. Items include a full line of Energy Star® appliances and advanced high-efficiency shower heads. There is also an assortment of lighting options including compact fluorescent light bulbs and the next generation LED energy efficient lights for the home.
Membership Choices for Work and Home
A variety of Sam’s Club memberships provide local businesses, individuals and college students the opportunity for big savings on home, school and office products. With an individual Advantage Membership starting at $40, members can enjoy full shopping privileges at the Surprise Sam’s Club, at 602 Club locations nationwide and online at samsclub.com.
Numerous local businesses have already signed up to take advantage of Business Memberships, which start at $35 and include extended Gold Key shopping hours, 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturday.
Additionally, with a valid college ID and collegiate e-mail address, students can obtain a year-long Collegiate Membership. The Collegiate Membership sells for $40, and includes a $15 gift card to help offset the cost of their first purchase.
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club is a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT). The first Sam’s Club opened its doors in Midwest City, Okla., in 1983. Today, Sam’s Club serves more than 47 million U.S. Members with locations nationwide and in Brazil, Canada, China, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Sam’s Club offers exceptional values on merchandise and services for business owners and consumers. Online merchandise and Club information is available at www.samsclub.com.
Surprise Sam’s Club
Club Fast Facts
- Grand opening: Thursday, Jan. 29, 8:30 a.m. Surprise Mayor L.E. “Lyn” Truitt to cut the ribbon.
- Sneak Preview and Presentation of $24,500 in community grants: Wednesday, Jan. 28, 5 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. (Shopping and sneak peek for media, grant recipients, area dignitaries, Business Members, associates and their families.)
- Address: 16573 W. Bell Rd., Surprise, Ariz., in the newly developed Sunrise Village Marketplace
- Club hours:
- Gold Key hours for Business Members – 7 a.m. – 10 a.m. Mon. – Sat.
- All Memberships – 10 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Mon. – Sat..; 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sun.
- 136,000 square-foot Sam’s Club
- First Sam’s Club in Surprise; 16th Sam’s Club in Arizona
- The Club will employ 170 associates
- Club Manager Vic Clinco started his career with Sam’s in 1990 as an hourly associate in Fort Pierce, Fla.
- Available products include electronics; computer software; mattresses; outdoor living furniture; office products; appliances; restaurant and foodservice supplies; vending and concession supplies; health, beauty and medical supplies; apparel; fitness equipment; toys; flowers; gifts and awards.
- Luxury items include designer sunglasses and handbags, jewelry, gourmet foods, wine and crystal and collectibles.
- The Club offers a gas station, a pharmacy, a one-hour photo lab, tire and battery services, a bakery, a fresh floral department, an optical center, a hearing aid center and a café.
- Members also enjoy healthcare, business, financial and personal services such as health and medical discount programs, roadside assistance, travel services, auto, boat and RV programs and cost effective merchant credit card processing solutions, provided by third party vendors.
- Advantage Membership - $40
- Business Membership - $35
- Advantage PLUS Membership - $100
- Business PLUS Membership - $100
- Collegiate Membership - $40, includes a $15 gift card and complimentary Membership
- (Editor’s Note: For more detailed information on Membership options, visit any Sam’s Club locations or samsclub.com.)
- The Club will distribute $24,500 in grants to local non-profit organizations in celebration of its grand opening. Grant checks will be distributed to representatives of the charities at the Jan. 28 Sneak Preview event. The recipients include:
- Heard Museum West - $5,000
- St. Mary’s Westside Food Bank Alliance - $5,000
- Sun City Area Interfaith Community Care - $5,000
- Surprise Sundancers - $5,000
- Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce - $3,000
- Eve’s Place - $1,500
For more information
- Club Manager: Vic Clinco, 623-584-0054
- Sam’s Club information online: www.samsclub.com