New Club focuses on convenience with added services and enhanced merchandise selection
SPRINGFIELD, Mo., June 23, 2009 – Sam’s Club will debut its second warehouse club in Springfield, offering members an enhanced customer experience with time-saving services and expanded merchandise selection, including an environmentally friendly car wash and easy-to-navigate store design. It is located at 745 W. El Camino Alto, directly off of the James River Highway and Campbell Ave., provides a convenient stop for shoppers seeking great values on a wide variety of everyday essentials and affordable luxury items. The Club Manager along with community leaders and local dignitaries will celebrate the official grand opening with a ribbon cutting ceremony Thursday, July 23 and announce $20,000 in community support.
“For many years, Springfield has been the retail hub for several of the communities in Southwest Missouri. We anticipate that the completion of this new facility will make it more convenient for our neighbors to the South and West to enjoy the cost savings and amenities this new facility will offer,” said Springfield Mayor Jim O’Neal. “We are delighted to have the addition of 230 new jobs and look forward to a long and prosperous relationship – both for Springfield and for Sam’s Club,” he added.
New Services, Merchandise Add to Overall Enhanced Customer Experience
According to Club Manager Jordan Adkins, the new Springfield Sam’s Club is committed to meeting the needs of the local community by providing access to essential and luxury items, as well as enhanced services, all in one stop. The new 134,608-square foot Springfield Sam’s Club will be the first in the city to have a car wash at its fuel station.
To help busy members, the new club will have prepared meals without the effort in the fresh food department, offering a variety of meal solutions from rotisserie chicken and ribs to pasta, fish, chicken entrees and side dishes, conveniently located along the Club’s back wall. Members can also access the pharmacy’s $4 and $10 generic prescriptions, and save time and money while browsing for seasonal décor, fresh flowers, kitchen essentials and the latest in electronics and video gaming systems.
New Club Brings Jobs to Springfield
The new Springfield Sam’s Club plans to employ approximately 230 associates.
“Sam’s Club offers great opportunities for college students, retirees wanting to stay active and those hoping to get in on the ground floor and rise up through the ranks of the company.” In fact, Adkins started his career with Sam’s Club as an hourly cart attendant in 2001 in Joplin.
Sam’s Club Celebrates Community Commitment
As part of Sam’s Club commitment to give back to the communities it serves, associates from the new Springfield Club have selected several local organizations to receive a total of $20,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation. Burrell Behavioral Health, the Nixa Fire Protection District, Green County Parks and Recreation and the City of Republic Police Department will each receive $5,000 grants.
The new Sam’s Club will also fight hunger in the area by making regular product donations to local food banks. The program is part of a partnership between Sam’s Club and Feeding America. Sam’s Club locations across the nation regularly donate perishable food items to area hunger relief agencies, helping fight hunger in their communities and reducing food waste. Last year, Sam’s Club donated more than 13 million pounds to Feeding America, the nation’s largest hunger-relief charity.
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club is a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT). The first Sam’s Club opened its doors in Midwest City, Okla., in 1983. Today, Sam’s Club serves more than 47 million U.S. Members with locations nationwide and in Brazil, China, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Sam’s Club offers exceptional values on merchandise and services for business owners and consumers. Online merchandise and Club information is available at www.samsclub.com.
Springfield Sam’s Club
Club Fast Facts
- Grand opening: Thursday, July 23, 8:30 a.m.
- Check presentation of $20,000 in community grants: Wednesday, July 22, 4:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. Shopping and sneak peek for media, grant recipients, area dignitaries, Business Members, associates and their families start at 5 p.m.
- Address: 745 W. El Camino Alto, Springfield, Mo.
- Club hours:
- Gold Key hours for Business Members – 7 a.m. – 10 a.m. Mon. – Fri.; 7 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Sat.
- All Member – 10 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Mon. – Fri.; 9:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Sat.; 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sun.
- 131,813-square-foot Sam’s Club
- The Club will employ approximately 230 associates
- Club Manager Jordan Adkins started his career with Sam’s Club in 2001 as an hourly cart attendant in Joplin.
- Available products include electronics; computer software; mattresses; outdoor living furniture; office products; appliances; restaurant and foodservice supplies; vending and concession supplies; health, beauty and medical supplies; apparel; fitness equipment; toys; flowers
- Luxury items include designer sunglasses and handbags, jewelry, gourmet foods, wine and collectibles.
- The Club offers a gas station, a car wash, full liquor sales, a pharmacy, a one-hour photo lab, tire and battery services, a bakery, a fresh floral department, a vision center, a hearing aid center and a café.
- Members also enjoy healthcare, business, financial and personal services such as health and medical discount programs, roadside assistance, travel services, Auto Buying Program and cost effective merchant credit card processing solutions, provided by third party vendors.
- Advantage Membership - $40
- Business Membership - $35
- Advantage PLUS Membership - $100
- Business PLUS Membership - $100
- Collegiate Membership - $40, includes a $15 gift card
(Editor’s Note: For more detailed information on Membership options, visit any Sam’s Club location or samsclub.com.)
- The Club will distribute $20,000 in grants to local non-profit organizations in celebration of its grand opening. Grant checks will be distributed to representatives of the charities at the July 23 grand opening event. The recipients include:
- Burrell Behavioral Health
- City of Republic Police Department
- Green County Parks and Recreation
- Nixa Fire Protection District
For more information
- Club Manager: Jordan Adkins, 417-881-7210
- Sam’s Club information online: www.samsclub.com
# # #