Food, Entertainment and Community Grants Focus for Grand Opening
BENTONVILLE, Ark., July 21, 2009--Más Club, a fresh brand of warehouse club shopping opens its doors Aug. 6 at 8711 North Freeway in Houston. It is the first membership warehouse club to specifically offer consumers a wide assortment of Hispanic items. Más Club will have great values on approximately 4,000 items including internationally known brands, such as Badia, Minsa, Dela Rosa and La Huerta. Annual membership costs $30.
“This is a warehouse club unlike any other, and we are excited to have it debut in Houston,” says Más Club General Manager, David Galvan. “Houston has a very diverse population, and we will be able to better serve the metro area by focusing our efforts on specialized merchandise and solutions at this club. Now, we are going to be able to offer an expanded assortment of Hispanic products at a great value.”
Más Club will have a positive impact on the overall supply chain of Hispanic items sold in the United States. By streamlining the importation process, it is anticipated local resellers and small businesses that offer grocery and other items will have greater access to an expanded variety of products at great prices. Más Club is a new format operated by Sam’s Club, one of the nation’s leading membership warehouse clubs with more than 600 locations nationwide.
Grand Opening Events
Grand opening day events kick-off with a ceremony and ribbon cutting at 8:30 a.m., on Thursday, August 6. Más Club members and non-members are invited to activities throughout the day and weekend, including a special appearance by Carlos Lee, a left fielder in professional baseball who currently plays for Houston. MasterCard cardholders and Más Club members can get autographs and photos with Carlos Lee from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Plus, numerous food and beverage samplings, like meat and produce items prepared with Badia Spices, will be available.
An exclusive tour for the news media is planned prior to the grand opening on Wednesday, August 5, at 8 a.m. Local media and community leaders are invited to attend this special sneak preview and club tour. The event will kick-off with a community grant presentation of which $24,000 will be distributed to local organizations. Later in the day, from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., a VIP event for Más Club Founding Members and associates will be held; this is the first chance for members to purchase merchandise.
Products and Services
Más Club provides imported and internationally known brands at great values and in package sizes that make sense for families and small businesses. Its product assortment includes fresh produce and meats, including a variety of cuts, and a full-service meat and seafood counter. The club carries a unique selection of Hispanic foods and brands including beverages, spices and candy for both family use and small business resale. To enhance the member experience, the café will have a menu including traditional beverages and entrees, as well as an outdoor seating area. Additional areas of business provide new services, such as a clinic and a Barri® money center.
- Café: Features new variety of menu items, including rotisserie chicken and carnitas sold by the pound, along with an assortment of traditional Hispanic dishes, like Fajitas de Res, Barbacoa Flautas de Res and Picadillo Carne Guisada, available to eat-in or for carry-out.
- Barri Money Center: Members will receive unsurpassed personal attention with Barri’s 25-years of experience in Houston financial services. Open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., members can utilize it for wire transfers, currency exchange and check cashing, as well as money orders, bill payment, prepaid debit cards, phone cards, insurance services and tax preparation.
- Clinic: It will provide fast, affordable access to basic healthcare services, such as check-ups, immunizations, screenings and minor injuries. The clinic will be open for walk-in service Monday-Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. No appointment is necessary, and patients may pay cash or file claims with participating health plans.
Building and Layout
Más Club has a unique layout, with two adjoining buildings representing approximately 143,000 square feet of shopping and warehouse space.
- Shopping Space: Members can shop for fresh produce and meats, exchange currency and pick-up household or business goods in the 87,000 square feet of shopping space at a community-centric and convenient location.
- Warehouse business: More than 30,000 square feet of Más Club is dedicated warehouse space with approximately 500 non-perishable items. It will service business owners who will be able to purchase large quantities that can be easily transported. Members work directly with an account manager to place large orders from the warehouse.
- Outdoor Market: An outdoor space for special shopping and market-style activities will host weekend events, including pottery and produce.
Más Club specializes in Hispanic goods for both small businesses and families. Annual membership costs $30, which enables members to shop at the facility and use the fuel station. Purchases can only be made by Más Club members. Sam’s Club Business and Advantage Membership does not extend to Más Club. Más Club hours are Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Más Club accepts MasterCard card, Discover, checks or cash. For more information, visit masclub.com.
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club is a division of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT). The first Sam’s Club opened its doors in Midwest City, Okla., in 1983. Today, Sam’s Club serves more than 47 million U.S. Members with locations nationwide and in Brazil, China, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Sam’s Club offers exceptional values on merchandise and services for business owners and consumers. Online merchandise and Club information is available at samsclub.com.
Club Fast Facts
- Community and Media Day: Wednesday, August 5, at 8 a.m. Reporters and photographers are welcome to attend and get a behind the scenes look at the new club. $24,000 in community grants will also be awarded to local organizations.
- VIP Sneak Preview: Wednesday, August 5 from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (by invitation only for associates and Founding Members). Entertainment will be provided, and this will be the first chance for members to make purchases at Más Club.
- Grand Opening: Thursday, August 6 at 8:30 a.m. Grand opening ceremony and ribbon cutting with in-club entertainment and demos to follow.
- Address: 8711 North Freeway, Houston, Texas
- Club Hours: Monday - Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Approximately 143,000 square feet of shopping and warehouse space
- Más Club will employ approximately 180 associates
Celebrity and Special Guest Appearances
- Carlos Lee will appear Thursday, August 6, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. MasterCard cardholders and Más Club members can stop-in for complimentary autographs and photos.
- Chef Pepin will appear Friday, August 7 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday, August 8 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. A radio remote will accompany this appearance on Saturday; members and guests will have an opportunity to win prizes from the stations “prize wheel.”
- Grupo Fama will appear Saturday, August 8 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- An 8 pump fuel station, with unleaded, medium, premium and diesel fuels, is located in front of the club
- Approximately 4000 available products include: bolillos, telera bread, empanadas, conchas, semitas, orejas, banderillas, tres leche cakes, fresh tortillas, fresh tortilla chips, roma tomatoes, avocadoes, jalapeno peppers, tomatillos, cilantro, limes, yellow corn, tunas (cactus pears), cactus leaves, dry peppers, thin-sliced meats, variety meats, marinated meats, chorizo, barbacoa, carnitas, salsa, guacamole, whole fish, fish filets, shrimp, chicharrones
- The club offers a pharmacy, a bakery with fresh tortillas daily, a Barri money center, a clinic, an expanded assortment of fresh produce, an outdoor events area and a warehouse with products packaged for suppliers, wholesalers and distributors.
- Annual membership fees are $30, for use at Más Club and the Más Club fuel station. For more detailed information on the Más Club membership, visit masclub.com or call 800.Mas.Club.
The club will distribute $24,000 in grants to local non-profit organizations in celebration of its grand opening. Grant checks will be distributed to representatives of the charities at the club’s Community and Media Day on August 5 at 8 a.m. Recipients include:
- Local Police and Fire Departments
- Boys and Girls Club
- Kids and Cars
- Girl Scouts
For more information
- Más Club information online: www.masclub.com